Getting the most from tutoring!
LSC tutors help guide you through the process of understanding the subject matter. They will not do your homework for you or answer questions without challenging you to think.
To make the very most of your time with them, you should:
1. Study your course material and attempt the assigned problems before you go for tutoring help.
2. Try to identify specific questions or concepts you need to address during the tutorial session.
3. Expect the tutor to ask you questions about the material. They do this to find out what you understand, and to provide you with information and strategies tailored to your individual needs.
4. Be patient. Several students may come for tutoring at the same time. If the tutors are especially busy, you may have to wait a little longer for individual assistance. Use this time to study the material, or better yet, learn what questions your peers have–you may realize that you have the same questions!
5. Expect the tutor to suggest general study strategies to help you improve your overall academic performance. These strategies will help in all of your courses.
6. Don’t wait until the day before the test or the day before an assignment is due to seek assistance. Study a few hours each day, and keep up with your assignments. It is EASIER to keep up than to catch up!
7. Use other resources such as your instructor’s office hours, TA office hours, study groups with your friends and the LSC Supplemental Instruction courses.
8. Keep a positive attitude about the subject and about your potential to excel. Maintain and expand your growth mindset!